If you are a student coming from a country outside the European Union you must apply for a visa before the departure at the Spanish consulate in the country where you reside. The requested documents for the visa processing include a letter certifying admission in a Spanish teaching center for courses longer than 3 months. In some cases the consulates demand that the course is prepaid before approving the permit. They also request a certificate of residence, which must include the place where you will reside once you get to Spain. You also must be able demonstrate your financial capacity to support yourself during your stay in the country. In some cases it can be also requested a medical certificate and criminal records. This visa is valid for 3 months.

If you are a student from a country inside the European Union you must not get any visa to enter Spain, however, it is recommended that, once you are in the country you apply for a Student Card, certifying you as student.

When you arrive in Spain, you must apply for a residence permit for studies. This is called "student card" and replaces the visas issued by the Spanish Consulate in your country of origin. This document gives legality to your stay in Spain, is granted for a maximum of one academic year and is renewed annually, providing that you are still studying and showing a good use of the previous year. It is requested in the National Police Station in the city where you are going to live and the requirements are:

  • Application form duly completed
  • Valid passport
  • Have entered Spain with a student visa issued by the country of origin and unexpired
  • 4 photos
  • Proof of financial means for maintenance during the stay in Spain
  • Letter of admission of the Spanish educational institute
  • Private medical insurance
  • Proof of living address (registration card)

Offices to apply for the student card

  • First time:
    Calle Guadalajara, 4-6 (corner Bosch)
    Phone: 34 93 4159769
  • Renewals:
    Calle Murcia, 42
    Phone: 34 935201410

For renewals you must request an appointment online at the following website: